Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cable News Sucks: Exhibit A





















If you don't follow politics, you may not know what happened between on the Hannity program between host Sean Hannity and Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) on FoxNews.  If you're a FoxNews viewer, you probably saw this as Hannity interviewing someone having a nervous breakdown right before your eyes.  If you're a fan of MSNBC, you probably just saw Hannity finally getting his due.  Admittedly, I don't watch FoxNews (or MSNBC) because I don't care for their "journalism," but it almost seemed like they went into this interview expecting a fight.  I have half a mind to call this a PR stunt.


Hannity is a tool...for the Republican party.  He can play semantics and call himself a Conservative, but Ellison is right when he says that he carries the banner of the Republican party on his TV and radio shows.  I've watched, I've listened, and it's pretty obvious.  There's nothing that says that Hannity can't be exactly what he is -- I don't see why he doesn't proudly admit it.  It's not like anyone at FoxNews is fooling anyone with their objectivity.  It's not really there for most programs.  
When it comes to Hannity, I'm used to him saying things that are at the very least, disappointing.  I wasn't surprised that he was involved in an exchange like this -- but I was surprised to see what I saw from the Congressman, I know Rep. Ellison by name, and I'm pretty sure that I've seen him on TV before.  Other than that, I don't really know too much about him.  When I saw this, I felt like it was two children saying "neener-neener-neener" to each other in a sing-song voice.  
I would remind Rep. Ellison that he is a United States Congressman.  As such, he is expected to hold himself to a higher standard.  Our members of congress have the privilege of serving the public, providing leadership and working for the people of their district.  Their job is considering both ordinary and historic legislation, and their priority should be focused on maintaining the integrity of the institution.  An institution that unlike most others, it has seen the very best our country has had to offer.  The footsteps of history echo through its chambers.

If you want to see why cable news sucks, click play on exhibit A.



8 comments:

  1. You say that Ellison is a congressman, and should be held to a higher standard. I say that from what I've seen from our representatives, that standard needs to be lowered quite a bit. These are lawyers and businessmen at heart, and neither of those professions have a reputation deserving of high standards. We expect lawyers to be greedy sharks and we expect businessmen to be corrupt greedy sharks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that input. You and I simply disagree on this point. If you choose to be a public servant, which is what you do -- serve the interest of the public -- there are certain expectations and responsibilities that come with that.

      If you want to be those other things you've described: stay in the private sector.

      That's my take.

      Delete
    2. We actually agree, I'm just saying don't expect most of them to live up to those standards. Especially one party lately....

      Delete
  2. I respectfully disagree with your statement that the congressman should be held to a higher standard. I believe that he DID maintain a higher standard (that we should expect from our elected representatives) by publicly identifying tactics being used to deceive the public, instead of worrying about his own political future. I wish there were more like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're at least in partial agreement, because I agree with you and think that pointing out what he believed to be poor journalism is important. I just think the manner in which he did it, and how he carried himself on this occasion. I appreciate your thoughts though, and I like it when people chime in - even if they don't agree. Thanks for stopping by, I hope to see you (and the other folks) again.

      Delete
  3. Good example of the partisan food-fight that passes for cable "news." This isn't "journalism" at all. It is infotainment, Paddy Cheyevsky's prescient 1976 film "Network" come to life. It is trendy to lump MSNBC in with Fox News. However, Michael Tomasky made an interesting distinction recently on the Daily Beast:

    "And the “serious” conservative pundits by and large try to pretend it (GOP's rage-fest) doesn’t exist, or it’s not that bad, or MSNBC does the same thing in reverse. Well, it does exist, it is that bad, and no, MSNBC does not do the same thing in reverse. MSNBC has an agenda, but it doesn’t craft its messages in such a way as to make its viewers hate half the country."

    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/02/23/deluded-republican-reformers.html

    Fox, as well as Limbaugh and his imitators, make big money selling fear and outrage to a niche audience of older, affluent white voters. They don't mind stretching the truth to do it. They push a vision of they and their audience against a corrupt, amoral liberal world. Anyone who disagrees is more than simply mistaken. Those dissenting from the Fox world-view are attacked as morally deficient and bent on destroying the country. With respect, MSNBC depicts the GOP as fact-challenged and a bit wacky but not evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that MSNBC has a different style than FoxNews, but they're both guilty (in my opinion) of speaking to their agenda instead of the news. They're not the only ones, but for me, they're the most obvious.

      As far as the quote you provided. I saw that somewhere....oh yeah, your blog! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Foxand MSNBC do both value their agendas over straight reporting. Fox is more blatant about it but MSNBC is also pushing a partisan agenda.

      Delete

Join the conversation, or else!